Saturday, September 6, 2014

Palimpsest 4 - Books, Nouns, Buildings




This week we meandered to the City Library to check out their niche cabinets for the exhibition. There are lots of nooks and crannies and the library has a lively buzz and everyman feeling. What would we do without libraries?! We each selected a book from their Melbourne section and chose a picture to write a postcard scene/poem.

The book I found selected was Ola Cohn's Fairies Tree. But I was too absorbed in it to write from it so that will have to come later. The lines I found most arresting:

"It is believed a magpie that lived in its branches carried a lit cigarette there, and so started the blaze soon to light up the sky ..."

Following on from last week's homework - to write about our days in nouns - we each chose three nouns, put them in a pot and then attempted to write something that incorporated all three. There was some complaint of the sameness of our days, and I think from now on I'm going to stretch my brain to find the most interesting noun of my day (surely there must be one) ...

My three words were: container, tunnel and children.
Here is a snippet:

"I promised I would not show them or tell people. But, but, but. You would not think they would be so hard to look after. I grew to hate their little faces, their high, pinging voices..."


Our workshops are relatively short (2 hours), and looking through my notebook I seem to have collected a lot of beginnings. I will save them for a 'stuck' day.

The homework was to select a building - either from the lovely Collins St Sketchbook or from our own wanderings and create a story from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment