Map of Lost Places - project & process
In primary school my favourite thing was Project Books. These were an oblong-shaped book - not quite A3 but something close to it - long, is what remember, long enough to really stretch out your titles in bubble writing or some approximation of a Medieval font. We picked a subject we were interested in (Dogs, Dinosaurs), and drew pictures and wrote facts snatched from the brown-and-cream Encyclopedia Brittanica. Clearly I never lost the love of collating and presenting information. Later I would get into Letraset transfers ... I had these analog adventures in mind when thinking of the map for the Map of Lost Places. Lisa and I wanted it to be easy to read, but we were also dealing with quite a bit of text. There were the names of places AND the names of streets. Then there are all those lovely half-streets and alleys to play with (and potentially complicate things). Melbourne is famously built on a grid - my thinking was that as long we had a couple of the more significant street names then the reader could figure out the rest. Below are a few experiments and what we finally arrived at. We got the zine copies on Friday, and it is a sweet little back-pocket-sized portal into other people's memory. Zines will be available after the walk (September 13) at Sticky and other TBC outlets.
Supported by the City of Melbourne Arts Grants




.png)
.jpg)

Comments
Post a Comment